- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 small carrot roughly chopped
- 1 medium potato diced
- 1 leek roughly chopped (replace with a bunch of spring onions or omit)
- 200g cavolo nero roughly chopped (replace with spinach/collard greens/etc)
- 100g peas (replace with lima beans or omit)
- 200g broccoli (replace with zucchine/Brussels sprouts)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups vegetable broth (replace with chicken broth/salted water)
- 1 small Parmesan rind (replace with 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or omit)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up the oil in a deep pot for a couple of minutes on medium heat;
- Add the onion, leek and carrot and let sweat for 2-3 minutes;
- Add the potatoes, broccoli and Parmesan and cover with half of the stock;
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and let simmer for 20 minutes;
- Add the remaining vegetables, stock and finish seasoning with salt and pepper;
- If there isn’t enough liquid feel free to add some more water;
- Let simmer for at least 15 more minutes and up to 40 if you have time;
- Puree with an immersion blender;
- Serve with some warm crusty bread and an extra dash of extra virgin olive oil.
- The leek can be replaced with a bunch of spring onions or omitted.
- The cavolo nero can be replaced with spinach/collard greens/etc.
- The peas can be replaced with lima beans or omitted.
- The broccoli can be replaced with zucchine/Brussels sprouts.
- The vegetable broth can be replaced with chicken broth/salted water.
- The Parmesan rind can be replaced with 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or omitted.
Keywords: soup, vegetarian, vegetariano, vegetariana, vegan, vegano, vegana