They say temperatures here in Chicago are going to drop as much as -26C over the next few days. That’s without counting the wind chill.
Now, I do prefer cold to heat and I am of the “Layer Up and Suck It Up” school of thought, but -26C?!?!… You can find me hiding at home, either on the couch with cup of tea in hand or in the kitchen making a batch of soup, because I don’t really want to eat anything else right now. Maybe a small sandwich on the side. Yes, I like sandwiches with soup. Because I’m greedy.
This particular soup is so simple to make and one many Italians put on the table in winter. Not only it can be ready in 30-40 minutes, but it is also filling, flavourful and few of the ingredients are a must so it is the perfect way to use those vegetables at the back of the fridge. Yes, we all have them. Stop pretending that’s not a thing in your home.
The vegetables I have listed are those I normally use, but you can replace for whatever you have that is closest – I have added some suggestions to get you started.
Once again, stay warm and Buon Appetito!Print
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 small carrot roughly chopped
- 1 medium potato diced
- 1 leek roughly chopped (replace with a bunch of spring onions or omit)
- 200g cavolo nero roughly chopped (replace with spinach/collard greens/etc)
- 100g peas (replace with lima beans or omit)
- 200g broccoli (replace with zucchine/Brussels sprouts)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups vegetable broth (replace with chicken broth/salted water)
- 1 small Parmesan rind (replace with 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or omit)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up the oil in a deep pot for a couple of minutes on medium heat;
- Add the onion, leek and carrot and let sweat for 2-3 minutes;
- Add the potatoes, broccoli and Parmesan and cover with half of the stock;
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and let simmer for 20 minutes;
- Add the remaining vegetables, stock and finish seasoning with salt and pepper;
- If there isn’t enough liquid feel free to add some more water;
- Let simmer for at least 15 more minutes and up to 40 if you have time;
- Puree with an immersion blender;
- Serve with some warm crusty bread and an extra dash of extra virgin olive oil.
- The leek can be replaced with a bunch of spring onions or omitted.
- The cavolo nero can be replaced with spinach/collard greens/etc.
- The peas can be replaced with lima beans or omitted.
- The broccoli can be replaced with zucchine/Brussels sprouts.
- The vegetable broth can be replaced with chicken broth/salted water.
- The Parmesan rind can be replaced with 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or omitted.
Keywords: soup, vegetarian, vegetariano, vegetariana, vegan, vegano, vegana