Summer is going to be officially over in 2 days. TWO.
I’m excited – I do not like heat and Chicago is killing me with the whole Indian Summer thing it has going right now. Ok, we get it, you want to be warm a little longer, but this is getting ridiculous. I want to wear a sweater and be able to have my cup of tea without cranking up the AC!
This dip still uses some of that Summer produce that is about to disappear from the markets, but it has a warmth to it that is perfectly at home in colder months.
I forget it is my repertoire until much too late in the season, make it in a rush and then regret not having made it earlier.
It tastes even better the next day and it keeps in the fridge for 2-3 days so dinner party leftovers taken to work the next day as a snack? Or you can call it a second lunch if so inclined. I’m going to go for snack.
Make it now. Thank me later.Print
- 2 medium aubergines peeled and chopped into bite-size cubes
- 1 big tomato peeled and chopped into bite-size cubes
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh oregano roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Juice ½ lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil (1 tbsp + more for dressing)
- Salt to taste
- Pitta bread (or crusty bread… or baguette… I don’t discriminate) for serving
- Start by either steaming or boiling the aubergine until thoroughly soft – I personally prefer the former method, but it does take about 25/30 minutes, so I won’t judge those who boil it (5-10 minutes) – This is a safe, no judgment zone;
- Let the aubergine drain well;
- Sauté the garlic and spices in 1tbsp of oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes;
- Add the chopped tomato and sauté for a couple more minutes;
- Reduce the heat to low, add the aubergine and let the mix cook for 15 minutes;
- Roughly mash the mix in the pan with either a potato masher or a fork;
- Add the lemon juice and fresh herbs and simmer on medium heat for another 5 minutes;
- Have another go at it with the masher/fork and let it cool as desired (you can have it both warm and at room temperature);
- Serve topped with additional evoo to taste and that lovely, lovely bread.
Keywords: starters, dips, vegetarian, vegan, vegetariano, vegetariana, vegano, vegana